Thursday 3 March 2011

Review - A'kin skincare

Way back last year May held a charity blog auction where companies and fellow bloggers donated items for people to bid on to raise money for charity. One item caught my eye and it was an A'kin skincare set for combination/oily skin.


I have never used A'kin before but wanted to try it as it doesn't contain parabens, SLS, silicones and other nasty ingredients which can be bad for you.

In the set I got a 225ml Sandalwood and Neroli gel cleanser, a 125ml Orange Blossom and Chamomile toner and a 50ml White Tea and Aloe moisturiser.

When I started using these products the smell took abit of getting used to. A'kin use only natural botanical ingredients and normally I don't buy products which are floral scented so they took a while to get used to. Don't get me wrong they do smell gorgeous I just wasn't used to floral scents!


Sandalwood and Neroli cleanser
The first thing I noticed is the size of the bottle, it's huge! And a little goes a long way, the only bad thing about this is that I don't really like the lid on the bottle, it seems to get in the way when squeezing the product out. I always end up with more than I should.


The cleanser itself is orange in colour and it's of a gel consistency. I use it on a sponge to remove my make up and it leaves my skin feeling clean and refreshed.


I would definitely repurchase this and it is £13.99 and available at Boots.

Sandalwood - an active ingredient against bacteria and has anti-inflammatory qualities
Neroli (from the white blossoms of the bitter orange) - refreshing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic


Orange Blossom and Chamomile toner
I like using toners but I don't like one which are called astringents as I find they are too harsh on the skin and can leave it dry. A'kin's toner is described as soothing and refreshing and it's even ok to use on sensitive skin.


The first thing you notice is the smell. It does smell soft and soothing (if that's possible!) I only use this at night but it leaves my skin lovely and soft and doesn't dry it out. I would repurchase this and it is £8.99 and also available at Boots.

Orange blossom - is an anti-inflammatory and is refreshing
Chamomile - is an anti-inflammatory and can reduce redness and skin sensitivity


White Tea and Aloe moisturiser
As I have combination skin I need to use a day moisturiser which is matifying to help keep my skin looking shine free all day.



I love that this has a pump dispenser rather than it being a pot so that you get a measured amount and there's less waste. Oh and of course it is more hygienic.

It is a gel formulation so it's light and sinks into the skin straight away which is essential when I'm rushing about before work at 6.30am!


It does eradicate shine from my face and lasts all day. I would say that it's probably the best moisturiser I've used so yes I would buy it again and it's £19 from Look Fantastic.

White Tea - boosts the immune function of skin cells by protecting against the sun
Aloe - hydrating, an anti-inflammatory and reduces redness


Overall impression
After using these products I would without doubt repurchase them all and I would buy more A'kin products to try and I would certainly recommend A'kin as a brand.


Have you used anything from A'kin? What did you think? Or are you going to try any of the 3 products I've reviewed here?

2 comments:

Milly said...

you've got a great blog here - I'm following!

would love you to enter my amazing giveaway:

http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-gievaway-yet-ida-restaurant-pasta.html

xx

M + K said...

we've been using Sukin, another organic skin range, for a while now. We love it, but we also want to see what other organic skin ranges are out there. we've actually been eyeing Akin for a while now and its definitely a brand we want to try after reading other reviews like yours!

www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au

Post a Comment